Tuesday, 26 July 2016

Glow worms

I took a deep breath and stepped into the black. I clutched on to the rope beside me as we went down the steep staircase down to the stream. We were at Sixtus Lodge for a night and we were visiting the glow worm caves with Dave, my dads friend and his wife Kate and her aunt, Noleen. I clutched onto the rope even tighter as I felt my foot slip down a really steep step. I turned my headlight on and grabbed my mums hand to stop myself from falling. I carefully stepped down and ducked my head as we entered a tunnel of fern to get to the river.
I shone my headlight down so I wouldn't trip on the stones in the river. I stepped into the stream and water flooded my sneakers. We carried on until we reached it. The Cave!!! It was in the stream so I was prepared to get wet! When we stepped in Noleen signaled to turn our torches off and look up. The sight was extraordinary. The glow worms looked exactly like stars! My jaw dropped in amazement. We kept on moving and when we turned back we went under the waterfall! After that I was soaked head to toe! We even found some limestone! That was DEFINITELY the highlight of my holiday.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Eva! Such a great description! Your writing is so expressive!
    I was transported back to that special night and special place, with such lovely company!
    I could visualise exactly what you were seeing and how you were feeling!
    I loved how you said about entering a "tunnel of fern" and "water flooded my sneakers"!

    No matter the number of times I have been through the caves, I still have the same feeling of absolute delight as for my very first time!
    I think you will also find this when you next go down into the cave.
    When you go during the day, you will be able to venture a lot further and maybe go through to the end of the caves and come back along the cliff bush track. This takes a couple of hours and you do a lot of scrambling over massive and old slippery logs, through narrow limestone gorges. Lots of fun too!

    Kate told me she has booked Sixtus Lodge for September next year... Hopefully we will meet again there.

    It was such a pleasure meeting you and your lovely family.
    I hope you are enjoying Term 3 at school. The term seems to be going very fast!
    The next holiday will be upon us soon!

    Thank you for sharing your writing with me, Eva. Keep writing expressively... it will bring you and others much pleasure!
    I loved seeing the photo's of our cave experience. I guess you have these now as well.

    See you again sometime. Noeline

    ReplyDelete